Other options of mobility (Freemover)


Steven Ericson © Unsplash

The university you are interested in does not appear in UNIL's agreements?

Apart from the university exchange programmes offered by UNIL, it is possible for students to pursue their studies abroad independently for one or two semesters, including at universities that are not UNIL partners (on a “free mover” basis. In this case, however, you will need to find out all the information and complete the formalities (admission criteria, financial conditions, producing your study plan) etc. with the host university yourself and you will not receive any administrative or financial support from UNIL.


Nonetheless, it is essential to have your study plan approved before you depart, by the mobility adviser in your faculty or section/school so that the ECTS credits you earn abroad can be recognised and/or to obtain equivalences. This can be a more complicated process than if you go to study under an exchange agreement.


Sources of information on study options abroad:

  • U-Multirank is a tool to help you choose a university run by the European Commission.
  • This website Summer Schools in Europe offers a good overview of summer schools available in Europe.

Application deadline: according to host university.

Target audience: all students.

Geographical area covered: borderless.

Submit your application to: host university.


Follow us: